The following are required to be admitted into the OILS Master's program:
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- At least a 3.0 GPA in the last sixty (60) hours of undergraduate work
- Required documentation (see below)
- A completed interview either over the phone or in person with an OILS Faculty member
- Goals or objectives that can be reasonably achieved through a degree in this program
Non-Degree Students: Up to twelve (12) non-degree-seeking UNM graduate-level credit hours may be applied to the MA degree program with the approval of the advisor. Check your transcript periodically to see that it shows the courses as non-degree-seeking graduate.
Application procedures should be started at least one month prior to the beginning of the 8-week module (e.g. the first or second 8 weeks in the Fall semester) in which you want to begin the degree to allow ample time for materials to be received and reviewed. Incomplete files will be reviewed for admission in the next module.
|Admission Term Modules (8 weeks)||Deadlines|
|Fall 1st Half||July 15|
|Fall 2nd Half||September 10|
|Spring 1st Half||November 5|
|Spring 2nd Half||February 5|
You will be required to upload electronic copies of the following documentation when you complete your online application:
- A Letter of Intent describing your background, interests, objectives, and how the degree fits into your plans. A clear connection between your career goals and OILS is needed. Be specific.
- A Resume, which provides a summary of your experience, especially that which relates to your proposed graduate work
- Three Letters of Recommendation. References should speak to your academic ability/potential. Requests for letters of recommendation are processed through the online application system. Please provide the names and email addresses of the individuals. The system will send the link to them to complete the process.
- One writing sample. Your writing sample doesn't have to be a class paper nor it has to be long. However, it should show your strengths in academic writing.
Apply Online as a UNM Graduate Student. You will submit the following with your application packet:
- A UNM Application for Admission
- Residency Form
- $50.00 application fee
- An original, official, sealed Transcript from each college or university you have attended
- All Required Documentation as outlined above
Applicants will be notified of admission decisions by letters from both the UNM Graduate Admissions Office and the Program Office.