Senior Associate Dean and OI&LS Administrative Director
Dr. Frances C. Wilkinson is the Senior Associate Dean of University Libraries and a Professor of Librarianship at the University of New Mexico. Fran has over twenty years of professional academic library experience and she is responsible for Administrative Services (including assessment, budget and finance, facilities, information technology, marketing, and human resources) and Technical Services. She is also the Administrative Director of the Organization, Information & Learning Sciences program since 2012.
Fran received her Bachelor of Arts with distinction, her Master of Public Administration, and her Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership from the University of New Mexico. She received her Master of Library Science from the University of Arizona. A member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society and a past president and treasurer of the UNM chapter, she is also a member of the Pi Alpha Alpha (Public Administration) and Pi Lambda Theta (Education) Academic Honor Societies. She also received the American Library Association’s, ALCTS, Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award.
Fran is the author of eight books and over fifty articles, chapters, columns, and reports. She serves on several editorial boards and was a journal column editor. She is a member of the American Library Association and its ACRL, ALCTS, and LLAMA divisions, serving on or chairing various committees. She is also very active on UNM faculty senate committees, currently serving as chair or a member of several. In addition, she serves as a mediator for the UNM Ombuds/Dispute Resolution Services.
Fran teaches graduate courses and serves as a faculty advisor in the Organization, Information, and Learning Sciences program. Her research and consulting interests include leadership, organizational development, qualitative research, competitive procurement, disaster preparedness and recovery, acquisitions, and computer ergonomics.
Selected Publications and Awards:
- Practical Strategies for Academic Library Administration, Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2016. Editors/Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Rebecca L. Lubas.
- Complete Guide to Acquisitions Management, 2nd Edition, Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2015. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson, Linda L. Lewis, and Rebecca L. Lubas.
- Comprehensive Guide to Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery. Chicago, IL: American Library Association (ACRL), 2010. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson, Linda K. Lewis and Nancy K. Dennis.
- Writing RFPs for Acquisitions: A Guide to the Request for Proposal (ALCTS Acquisitions Guides).Chicago, IL: American Library Association (ALCTS), 2008. Authors:Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Complete Guide to Acquisitions Management, Westport CT, London: Libraries Unlimited, 2003. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Effective Management of Student Employment: Organizing for Student Employment in Academic Libraries, Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 2000. Authors: David A. Baldwin, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Daniel C. Barkley.
- The RFP Process: Effective Management of the Acquisition of Library Materials, Englewood, CO:Libraries Unlimited, 1998. Authors/Editors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Connie Capers Thorson.
Refereed Articles and Chapters:
- Emotional Intelligence in Library Disaster Assistance Teams: Which Competencies Emerged?, C&RL, vol.76, no.2 (March, 2015), pp. 188-204. Author: Frances C. Wilkinson.
- The Academic Library Impact on Student Persistence, C&RL, vol.72, no.2 (March, 2011), pp.128-149. Authors: Mark Emmons and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Developing a Safety Training Program. Library & Archival Security, vol. 21, no. 2 (September, 2008), pp.77-85. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Attitudes of Presidents and Provosts on the University Library. C&RL, vol.68, no.3 (May 2007), pp.213-227. Authors: Beverly P. Lynch, Catherine Murray-Rust, Susan E. Parker, Deborah Turner, Diane Parr Walker, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Julia Zimmerman.
- Jumping Through the Hoops: Serials Librarians’ Reflections on Tenure, Reappointment, and Promotion Experiences in Academia. In “Balance Point” Column, edited by Kay Johnson. Serials Review, vol. 31, no.1 (2005), pp 39-53. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Performance Reviews: Terror, Tedium or Inspiration? Chapter 33, pp.271-280. In The Librarian’s Career Guidebook, Latham, MD: Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2004. Edited by Prescilla K. Schontz. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Designing the Electronic Classroom: Applying Learning Theory and Ergonomic Design Principles. Library Hi Tech, vol.19, no.1 (2001), pp. 77-87. Authors: Mark Emmons and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Using Serials Vendors in Academic Libraries, Revisited: An ARL Survey. In Advances in Serials Management: A Research Annual, vol.7 (2000), pp. 1-29. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Sever Bordeianu.
- History of Automated Serials Control Systems in ARL Libraries: Results of a Survey. Serials Review, vol.25, no.4 (1999), pp. 55-62. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Sever Bordeianu.
- Merging the Acquisitions and Serials Department at the University of New Mexico: A Case Study. Library Acquisitions: Practice & Theory, vol.22, no.3 (1998), pp. 259-270. Authors: Sever Bordeianu, Linda K. Lewis, and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- In Search of the Perfect Cover: Using the RFP Process to Select a Commercial Binder. Serials Review, vol.23, no.3 (Fall 1997), pp. 37-47. Authors: Sever Bordeianu and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Putting the House in Order: Using INNOPAC to Manage Problematic Reference Serials and Pseudoserials. Reference Services Review, vol. 24, no.1 (Spring 1996), pp. 13-20. Authors: Christina Carter, Nina K. Stephenson, and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Computer Calisthenics: Staying Healthy on the Job While Sitting at a Library VDT Workstation. Technical Services Quarterly, vol.13, no.1 (Winter 1995), pp. 31-38. Authors: Ruth Krug, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Marie Krug.
- The RFP Process: Rational, Educational, Necessary. Library Acquisitions: Practice and Theory, vol.19, no.2 (July 1995), pp. 251-268. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Connie Capers Thorson. ACCTS Blackwell North America Scholarship Award Nominee, 1995.
- Computer Workstation Design and Assessment. Technical Services Quarterly, vol. 10, no.4 (1993), pp. 43-52. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Ruth Krug.
- Pick a Chair - But Not Any Chair: A Comparison of Two Ergonomically Correct VDT Chairs. Technical Services Quarterly, vol.8, no.2 (Winter 1990), pp. 25-41. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Ruth Krug.
- Albuquerque Historical Society, Excellence in Historical Programming for “Zimmerman Library: After the Fire,” 2007.
- Friends of the Libraries, UNM, Inc. “James F. Zimmerman Award” for Excellence in Administrative Service to the Library, 2003.
- American Library Association, Association for Library Collections and Technical Services “Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award,” 2000.
- Phone: (505) 277-4241
- Office: Zimmerman Library 209
- Email: email@example.com